Sunday, July 21, 2013

Getting to know home


Slowly getting settled into the country life here. It's definitely an adjustment as when I'm bored I can't just pick up and run to Target to walk the aisles and browse thousands of things I really don't need. (Would love to have....but don't need.)

Do people who live in the mountains really hike EVERY.SINGLE.DAY? Or go for never ending bike rides when there is nothing else to do? Do they NOT have kids who aren't exactly eager to go on a 16 mile bike ride?

We've been slowly exploring out little tourist town when Chris is off to work. There really are a lot of things to do here, but I need either A) a babysitter or B) motivation money to do them. It's like you have to pay for a summer pass to do anything. Want to ride the chair lifts at the resorts? $15 a person/each time. Want to swim? Buy a season pass. Summer camps for kids? Half of one pay check. Since I'm still putting in a few hours each day at work, I've been trying to find things to do with the kids that is close to the home and FREE.

I really do wish I was more of an outdoor sportsman, it would be so much easier to just grab a fishing reel and head out to the Snake for an afternoon. But I'm not a fan of fish. Alive or dead.

So here's a little bit of what we have been doing to keep busy:

Going to check the mail requires tires and/or a good pair of walking shoes. Since the weather is great right now we are taking advantage and riding our bikes to the post office.
About every other day, we strap on our helmets, grab our bikes and make the 2.5 mile round trip the post office (at least the route we take is 2.5 mi)
 
 
 
There are a number of fun little deli's and restaurants I want to check out.
The Goat Shack serves all type of hot dogs AND has live goats in the back you can pet! 
 
And of course you can't pass the Victor Emporium and NOT stop for ice cream.
Their chocolate shakes are so yummy. Good thing we ride our bikes there, helps to work off those pesky calories!
 
This is a picture board just outside the emporium.
Anna cracks me up!

Every Thursday night Victor hosts Music On Main. The awesome thing...we live close enough that we can just bike right to the park! OR if we don't feel like attending, we can sit on our back porch and listen from home. They have different live bands every play every Thursday night through summer. Last week they had a band that resembled The Dave Matthews Band. Really wishing I would have attended that one!  They also have a couple of food, beer & wine booths and local business vendors set up.


Yes, my girls hanging on the crowd barriers. Little groupies I think!

We've been doing a lot of exploring around our own yard too.
 
 

 Horses. Horses. Horses 
Need I say more?

 Even Bear likes the horses.

The city also has a huge park they use for all the Nordic activities and in the summer it has a great walking trail. I think the kids would love the playground while Bear and walk the park. It's really been warm here during the day so we've been avoiding the heat just as if we were in SLC.

I'm hoping that I can get myself on a schedule of keeping up the home / work / kids so that we all have a good balance and really get to enjoy our little country life here.