Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Why 2014 will be MY year

You never really think about how out of place you could feel being away from your own home. The home you've lived in for 6 years, in a city you've lived in for 12 and in the only state you EVER lived it all together. You justify it as "I'm an adult and this is what adults do". Right?
 
You think life will just continue on the same way it has. No real big changes.
Right?
 
Wrong.
 
Moving from a big city in Utah to a small town in Idaho was a HUGE change for me.
Gone are my neighbors whom I would speak to almost every day. Just standing out in the front yard chatting about cars (Subaru's and Jeeps), recipes, money strategies, clothes, activities. You name it, the ladies and I discussed it.
 
Gone are the dozens of neighbor friends who would use that revolving door on the front of your house to make their way in and out all summer long.
 
Gone are being invited to house parties the women threw, church gatherings with the ward, waving hello to the other moms out pushing strollers, getting in their nightly walks around the block.
 
Gone are the quick trips to Target, the mall, dozens of cheap restaurants or crafty stores (man I REALLY miss Hobby Lobby!)
 
Gone. All gone.
 
This town I live in is great. The beauty alone is enough for someone people. I'm more a people person than a tree person. I need that interaction. For the most part, all of the women I've met are quite nice. With such a small town I'll usually see the same women at the grocery store as I do dropping Anna off at school. One of Autumn's friends moms, I saw ALL THE TIME at the store and never realized who she was until we were finally introduced in church.
 
Small town.
 
Well over December I fell into a slump. Being sad about all the things you're missing can really make it hard to enjoy what you do have. A big chocolate covered, lazy day in sweats slump. It probably started in October and November but really became prominent in December. I went lazy. I was completely unmotivated to do anything. A little sad at times missing how Christmas "would have been" back in Layton. And I let the ugly emotional eating Cindy come out. I don't deal with EE.Cindy much, but this time she came and she was strong. She brought with her about 7 extra pounds too.
 
So feeling fat, lazy, unmotivated is one thing. Feeling that and having your husband totally call you out on it, is another. Now let me clear something up...NEVER did Perk call me fat. A). he's not that type of man to EVER knock my weight and B). he knows better. But when the husband comes home from working all day and there is no dinner ready and no idea of what dinner should be...he's a little bothered. I was lazy. I didn't make any. I'm a SAHM and I didn't even think to make any. What? You people need to be fed?
 
He excused it the first time, but by the forth lazy excuse...he spoke up. I've known how I was feeling for a while. I saw the roles on my stomach become more noticeable and harder to suck in and the jeans harder to fit into.  I felt my energy levels keep getting lower and lower until the mention of how often I nap was actually interfering with my night time sleeping.
 
So I stopped and I started paying attention to fit blogs and fit instagram accounts. I had also read quick review about a diet with cheating allowed!! I had just started following Dolvett Quince on Instagram and was reading all about his new book coming out. I immediately
went to Amazon/Google/B&N to read the inserts. FEEL IN LOVE THE FIRST FEW WORDS!!!

First off, Dolvett is H.O.T. so looking at that face isn't hard, and being a huge fan of the Biggest Looser I figured this is the book for me. I trust the guy, I love the guy and he practices what he preaches. Let's do it.
 
So we bought the book and on Christmas morning and opened it up, said "LET'S DO IT" and started reading.
 
By far the best diet plan out there. Clean eating used to scare me. It scared me that I wouldn't be allowed many of the foods I really enjoy. And what's the point in living if you can't enjoy the things you really love?  I've tried diets where the first 3 days are called "detox" and you eat nothing buy green raw veggies and lean meat. That's it. NO OTHER FOODS OR INGREDIENTS. We actually tried it again months ago and I about died the 3rd day. Could not wait to get real food in my body.
 
Well this book is not like that.
The 3-1-2-1 stand for clean eating days and cheat days
Eat clean for 3, cheat for 1, eat clean for 2, cheat for 1.
Keeps your body guessing by mixing up the cheat days and keeps your metabolism in gear.
PLUS the clean eating days are pretty simple to follow. Like REALLY simple.
And when cheat days do come, you still need to be somewhat smart about them. Don't eat the WHOLE pizza, but enjoy a slice with a green salad on the side.
 
It's an easy to read book. He offers great suggestions and has a detailed weekly meal plan for you to follow. And the stuff on his menu won't cost an arm and a leg at the store. Yogurts, string cheese, lean meats, almonds,....pretty easy.
 
And the great thing is, as you eat clean, you feel so much better. I have way more energy that before and I think I'm loosing the cravings for the junk food. I used to buy the big bags of M&M's and I could eat them (by myself mind you) in 2 days. It's an addiction and I'm breaking that. I refuse to buy them anymore so I'm not tempted to eat them. But even now, when I pass them in the stores, if I've been eating clean they don't even sound good to me anymore. I don't really notice them when I'm in the aisle. That's progress!!
 
So this is the book that so far has helped me drop 6lbs. That was in  the first 1.5 weeks. (My cold derailed my plan last week but we'll jump right back on).
 
I've marked my meal and recipe pages with post-it notes for quick reference. I've highlighted and underlined and made notes on the things that have stood out the best to help me.
 
 
The book also has a complete exercise program set up by Dolvett to follow. Very doable without expensive gym equip or a membership anywhere.
 
So there you have it. This is the book that will help me, become the strong, fit Cindy I know I have in me. I've seen her before and I'll see her again!!
 
It doesn't mean that in September you'll see me jump out of an airplane, or hike the tallest mountain or complete in an Iron Man competition.
 
What it means is that I'll be healthy. And comfortable in my skin. Even wearing a bathing suit and not one that will cover things or smash them in, or conceal...  Get ride of the fatty thighs and wiggly arms. Get rid of having to cover up because "I" think it looks bad. Get rid of the self doubt, the low self esteem and become the mom and wife not only do I know I can me, but the mom and wife my family deserves!
 
For me this book is a miracle in that it came at the exact right time I needed it to. It's helping me, which in turn is helping Perk on his weight loss journey as well.
 
I hope anyone looking for a little help will pick up Dolvett's book and get as inspired by it as I have! Best of luck!